Monday, January 21, 2013

ARC Review: The Recruit (Highland Guard #6) by Monica McCarty




The Recruit (Highland Guard #6)
by Monica McCarty
Publisher:  Ballantine Books
Purchase Links: Amazon Barnes & Noble
 
Blurb by Goodreads
 
Scotland’s King Robert the Bruce is retaking his kingdom from the invading English. To win, he’ll need all the grit and courage of his elite band of warriors, the Highland Guard, men who fight without fear and love without limits.

Fiery, aggressive, and bold, Kenneth Sutherland is a true champion—skilled with any weapon and driven to win. Now Kenneth is ready for his greatest challenge: joining Robert the Bruce’s secret army to fight among the elite. Kenneth’s best chance to attain that honor is by winning the Highland Games. Focused and prepared for victory, he is caught off guard by a lovely wisp of a woman—and a stolen moment of wicked seduction. Her innocent arousal and her shameless hunger fire his blood. He will win his place in the guard—and in Mary of Mar’s bed.

The ruggedly handsome hero-in-the-making stirs a heart that should know better. Mary vows that her surrender will be sport only—no promises, no heartbreak, just one night of incredible passion. Nothing, she swears, will persuade her to give up her hard-wrought independence and put her fate in the hands of another powerful man. But with every gentle touch and heart-pounding kiss, Kenneth makes her want more. Now Mary wants his heart. But is this determined champion willing to surrender everything for love?







I can not believe I have not found Monica McCarty and The Highland Guard series earlier. She is a master storyteller with tons of action, lost of twist and turns I never saw coming and the romance I never knew where it was going to lead to. So many romantic scenes I thought were going to go one way but to my surprise it took a different turn. The characters are real and jump off the pages. You feel their pain and happiness.
 
Kenneth is every thing I love in my heroes, Over protective and never holds back when it comes to the woman he loves, Possessive, Jealous with a sexy Alpha Male attitude. Fell head over heals with him with his arrogant doing in the barn with Mary. It is a must scene to be read. I would of been just like Mary not being able to leave. He has felt like he was second best growing up and still feel like he needs to prove himself.
 
Mary I also adore her from the beginning. After what she had to go through with her husband betraying her, not ever showing her affection and not having her son in her life with her broke my heart. Because of this it made her stronger never to have another man in her life to betray her.
 
Mary can hold her own especially when it comes to Kenneth. He is used to having any woman he wants, but the only one he wants is Mary and she will not give him the time of day. The first time he feels tenderness towards a woman he has to work for it. He has never gone through so much trouble for a woman. Loved how sweet he was having flowers and bath ready every morning for her. Broke my heart a little when he finally gets her, he now only wants her heart and respect. Monica McCarty did amazing work with the ups and downs in their relationship. Their chemistry was hot right from the beginning and the sex scenes are steamy and written well.
 
Even though this is the 6th book in the series I was not lost at all. I loved the secondary characters and it just makes me want to read their stories and start this series from the beginning. I can not wait to buy all in Paperback including The Recruit for my collection to sit on my lovely bookcase showing off these yummy covers. The Recruit is keeper for me that I will re-read again.

ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review
 





8 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read some good Highlander stories, sounds like this is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one! And look forward to more from this series and Monica McCarty other Highlander series.

      Delete
  2. You had me at Scottish LMAO! I love my Highlanders for sure. I blame KMM for that LOL! This sounds great and the hero sounds amazing. I agree, I definitely like my Alpha males as well. I just added book 1 on my wishlist. Thank you so much for introducing me to a new author. She sounds stalk-worthy LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some KMM highlander novels on my boohshelf waiting to be read. Love how Monica McCarty writes her yummy Alpha Make heroes. I am so happy I found Monica McCarty. I look forwward to stalking Barnes & Noble and my used book store for some of the paperbacks. The covers are yummy.

      Delete
  3. Oh man I saw the cover and knew I had to read your review! You're just hitting the jackpot with all these 5 star books! Loved your review and both characters sounds amazing! There're not enough good highland books around so I'll definitely need to check out this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ning, This was my first book in this series and was not lost at all. It just makes me want to go back and start from the begining. I look forward to getting this series in Paperback. Love it when I have 5 star books to share!

      Delete
  4. You can never go wrong with men in kilts!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.