Thursday, March 28, 2013

YA Review: Storm (Elemental #1) by Brigid Kemmerer



by Brigid Kemmerer
Purhcase Links: Amazon Barnes & Noble
E-book 432 pages


Blurb:
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.
 
 
Storm starts off with a bang and never stops. Even though this a YA paranormal romance the characters are alive, jump off the pages with real life issues that people deal with on a daily basis, just add in some heroes with elemental powers.

Chris the hero is just trying to live a normal teenage life going to school, do the everyday normal teenage stuff, but at the same time keep his elemental power under control. Everything changes when Becca, a girl from his high school saves him from getting his butt kicked to death by two older boys who know what he is and want him to lose control so the others will come and kill him. Because of this, now Becca is part of this war going on with the other boys and this leaves Chris hot and cold. He starts to like her but knows she can not be with him because of her safety. I enjoyed Chris’s character he is the more quite of the brothers.

Now Hunter the mysterious new kid in school is yummy with his tattoo, piercing and Goth, Punk, New age style. He seems to always be there rescuing Becca from the other bad boys and always has his retired police dog, Casper with him outside of school. He shows interest in Becca and can be a bit jealous and protective of her. Loved it when Hunter and Becca are together they are fun and normal. The first time he rescues her from the other bad boys in the pet store she works out is a cute scene that got me all tingly in the stomach. They talk about how he can meet girls by his dog rescuing them.

“Who would, you think?”

“Softball team,” she said without missing a beat “Those chicks are tough.”

He grinned. “Thanks for the tip.” He started to turn for the front of the store, then stopped. “You play softball?”

Becca is a strong will heroine who not only has to deal with her dad coming back into her life after leaving her and her mom, nasty rumors going on in school from a boy who she thought she liked at one time but now they are people trying to hurt her because of the war with the Merrick brothers and the bad boys. She is not your wimpy heroine in distress. She can throw a killer punch.
 
What I loved most about Storm, is that it’s not just about Chris, Hunter and Becca’s love triangle. There is so much more going on with the Hot Merrick brothers. They all have a their own personality. Gabriel and Nick the twins are the smartasses, more so with Gabriel, who I just adored, loved every scene he is in and look forward to his story. Michael is the serious oldest brother who has so much on his plate. There is a reason he is this way, as he has to protect and care for his younger brothers since the death of their parents. Never a dull moment when the brothers are together, they had me giggling a lot through out the book. Here are some of my giggling moments.
 
Chris and Gabriel getting in trouble for getting back at the boys that beat up Chris.
“Boo hoo,” said Gabriel. That smile was gone.

Michael glanced over at him. “What were you thinking?” When he didn’t get an answer, he reached over and smacked Gabriel on the back of the head.

Becca asking Nick “You do his homework?”
“Just the math. It’s a miracle he can count to ten.”

“I can count to one.” Gabriel gave him the finger.

Chris needing Nick to get his arm to bleed:
“Nick,” he said. “I think I’m going to need you to bite my arm.”

“I think I’m going to need you to run that by me again.”
 
As I was reading Storm I kept thinking to my self who is this new kid, what happened to the Merrick brothers parents, what happened to Becca with the boy she liked at one time that started those bad rumors about her, why did her dad leave, what happened to Michael and Emily and why are these older bad boys so desperate to have the others come and kill them. Brigid Kemmerer did a phenomenal job at little by little giving away to details through out the book on everything I wanted to know. She did not leave anything out. Not only did I find out everything I wanted to know, but surprises came that I never saw coming towards the end of the book. Wow! I could not turn my e-reader fast enough, stayed up late as I had to finish to see what was going to happen next. Oh my gosh no one seems to be who I thought they were. The ending was perfect and I am still shocked by the outcome and look forward to continue this series.

I highly recommend Storm as it will have you wanting more with Brigid Kemmerer amazing writing style, sweet romance, kick butt action scenes and definitely the hot Merrick brothers.
 
If you are new to this series start with Storm. Do not make the mistake I did and started with Elemental (Elemental #05). Elemental will make more sense if read it second.




8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one but have not yet had time to continue the series. :( Boo me!! Fun review, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to check this out. It has been on my wishlist for a while. Thank you for the great review hon. Thank you also for the heads up about the novella. Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would of read the novella 2nd. But it did come out first. That reminds me I need to put up my review.

      Delete
  3. I usually don't read many YA, but I just might have to try this one out. It sounds like a good one, especially if you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and love the brothers. Great family moments that I love in my novels.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe I missed your review until you pointed it out--sorry! :) Great review though, I'm now dying to read this one even more! And I know you will love Gabriel's story!

    Enjoy,
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.