Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: Knight by Kristen Ashley




Knight (Unfinished Hero #1)
by Kristen Ashley
Purchase Link: Amazon
 
Blurb by Goodreads
 
Anya Gage has learned that to get anything good in life, you have to work for it. She has no expectations, no dreams.

Then she finds herself at a party where she doesn’t want to be and she meets Knight.

Knight Sebring knows who he is, what he wants and what he likes. And he gets it. But he never expected something as sweet as Anya Gage to wander into his bedroom during a party he did not expect to be having to borrow his phone.

Knight tries to leave Anya to the life she deserves of white picket fences and a man who watches football on Sundays – good, normal and clean. But when Anya comes to his nightclub and finds herself in a situation, he knows someone has to look after her, he can’t fight it anymore and he decides that man will be him.

Knight teaches Anya that, just as with the bad, in life you should also expect the good. And he teaches her this by giving it to her.

But Knight has a dark past and just as he desires Anya for exactly who she is, he fears when she finds out exactly the man he has become and always intends to be, she’ll leave him for good, normal and clean.
 
 
 
 

I am a huge Kristen Ashley fan and it breaks my heart that I only thought Knight was a 2 star-ok read. I have read many BDSM and erotic novels. Some I have loved and some did not like. I was excited Kristen Ashley was upping the steam factor in her first erotic novel but for me it fell flat and did not get my girly bits tingly. At times there were no build up to the sex scenes. One scene starts with Knight telling Anya to roll over and she was already tied up against the headboard. I have read many mixed reviews about how Knight likes to be called “Daddy” during there sex. Some have liked it and some have not. For me it was a huge turn off. I love spanking in my erotic novels even when they are for punishment but was not feeling anything with these scenes.
 
I love a yummy dirty talking, alpha male hero. Kristen Ashley is the queen of those yummy heroes I love. Going into the novel I knew Knight was not going to be like her other heroes she writes about. He is a anti-hero. I expected him to be darker and colder. I wanted to feel what he was feeling and at times never got that like her other heroes. He did at times get my heart pumping with his protectiveness and possessiveness. He lives in his own world by his own code. He has to be in control of his life and what is his. I found him at times to be sweet and swoon worthy. I already new something big about what he does on the side by reading a spoiler in a review. Urgh I wish now I did not click on that little spoiler link. Because I think I would of enjoyed the scene more not knowing as it would of been a shocker for me I did not see coming. To me I felt he was a swoon worthy hero for the reasons his does his side job. I was bummed the incident was not played out sooner and played more of a roll in the plot. I did think Anya took it to well. Kristen Ashley novels and writing style are one of kind. Her writing style is different with the way her characters talk. But for me I love it as she already has me hooked in the beginning from her heroes actions and what he says. But in Knight I was seriously lost at times. Had to reread lines because they just did not make any sense.
 
As for the secondary characters which like all Kristen Ashley novels are wacky and crazy but at times do add to some stories. In Knight for me at times took away from the story. I get sometimes they were needed in certain scenes to make that scene a set up for what is coming next with Knight and Anya. But most of the time I felt they were just fill ins for novel to be longer. I wanted less of them, less of Anya describing her clothes etc. I wanted more build up to Anya and Knight.
 
I think Knight has great potential to be a good, intense read but just felt some things were pushed to make it feel this way. I am a huge fan of Kristen Ashley and working my way on reading all her novels. Loving the idea for this new series Unfinished Hero and do look forward to reading Creed #2. I am so happy I have read her other novels like Dream Man series, At Peace and Sweet Dreams all 5 star novels for me, because honestly if I read Knight as my first Kristen Ashley novel I really do not think I would continue with her novels. If new to Kristen Ashley I would start with At Peace or Sweet Dreams. At Peace was my first Kristen Ashley novel and been hooked on her writing style, sexy as sin alpha male heroes and novels. Read Sweet Dreams second and was also a keeper. But At Peace will always be my all time favorite.
 




4 comments:

  1. Capri, I love your review. I like the honesty of it. I have several K. Nights books on my NOOK to read & I have to get to those first :)

    I like more of a build up of the relationship & things like that..you can leave the descriptives of one clothes...

    sharonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It usually does not bother me as much in her other novels because I am already so engrossed in the novel because her yummy heroes get me hooked from the beginning. I just felt it did not go well with this novel in my opinion that sounded like it was going to be intense and dark with an Anti Hero. It totally broke my heart to give it only two stars. I could not lie and say I liked it when I only thought it was an ok novel.

      Delete
  2. OMG...I am speechless!!!! I cannot believe that you don't like Knight?!?! I have no words!! lol :) I love him and him and Anya are one of my favorite couples from KA and this is a favorite book of mine from her and I actually just reread a few days ago.

    I am still in shock over this!! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetie I know! It totally breaks my heart. My first time only giving her novel an OK 2 star. You know she is one of my fav authors but was not totally smitten over Knight's story.

      Delete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.