Thursday, January 2, 2014

Review: Halfway To The Grave by Jeaniene Frost




Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)
by Jeaniene Frost
Purchase Links: Amazon  Barnes & Noble
 
Blurb by Goodreads
 
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.








Spoil Free Review

Starting the New Year right with a Wicked read and hands down one of the best book couples, Cat and Bones.  Halfway To The Grave has been many re-reads through out the years for me. I can't seem to get enough of Jeaniene Frost writing style and wonderful characters she has brought to life.

I loved that I got a kick butt heroine Cat who is not over the top and a building romance. I still find Halfway To The Grave refreshing and to date I do not think I have found another Paranormal Romance that the main character is a woman. It seems novels with the main character being the heroine tend to be in Urban Fantasy. With Urban Fantasy the romance tend to be not so much and not as hot as romance novels. Jeaniene Frost brought to readers a nice blend. Love that Cat is strong will, a smart mouth but still has her moments of weakness. She is known to act before think and at times kill before ask questions.

Bones rolled his eyes and clapped him on the shoulder. “I’m glad you’re still upright, Charles, and the only reason you are is because she didn’t have any silver. She’d have staked you right and proper otherwise. She has a tendency to shrivel someone first and then introduce herself afterwards.”

Now Bones is a yummy alpha male Vampire that still get's me all giddy with "Hello Kitten".  He is possessive and at times a bit jealous.

“Nice to meet you, mate, and here's some advice: Don't even think about it. You try anything with her and I'll neuter you with my bare hands. ”

Loved his smart remarks with everyone and his sense of humor through out the story.

Bones held me upright. I would have protested, but I couldn’t remember how to. “What are you saying?”

“Winston poltergeisted my panties, that’s what!” I announced with a loud hiccup.

“Why, you scurvy, lecherous spook!” Bones yelled in the direction of the cemetery. “If my pipes still worked, I’d go right back there and piss on your grave!”


Overall Bones is wickedly delicious.

“I can’t wait to find out how you taste, and you won’t want me to stop even after I’ve completely exhausted you. You’ll think you were on fire, your skin will burn. I’ll suck all of your juices out of you. And then I’ll drink your blood.”

Their relationship starts off as friends and he trains her to be a better hunter. Their chemistry is hot and Jeaniene Frost knows how to tease her readers with some yummy scenes. My favorite scenes are the training and of course the bar scene with Crispin. They have to work on their relationship and at times do have to come across some obstacles.  I loved the pacing of their relationship with fun and playful  banter.

"Is that a stake, Bones, or are you just happy with my new dress?”

“In this case, it’s a stake. You could always feel around for something more, though. See what comes up.”  

Loved all the secondary characters as they add so much to the storyline. Her mom is a hoot and love the interaction with her, Bones and Cat. Halfway To The Grave is a fun, hot read with a delicious Bones. It will have readers giggling, can not wait to see what happens next, unpredictable and wanting more of Cat and Bones.  Halfway To The Grave is a novel that I wish I can go back and experience for the first time.


Add To Goodreads





Have you read The Night Huntress Series and are you a huge fan of Cat and Bones?  Do you have a review up on your blog? Leave me a link with your review. Would love to see your thoughts on Halfway To The Grave.

9 comments:

  1. I really loved this book -- I haven't finish the series yet, but I plan on it. :) Great quotes, makes me want to do a reread!

    Enjoy,
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5). I am hoping to be caught up before the final book comes out Jan. 28th. Most likely will not. What novel are you on? We might have to do some buddy read if you are not too busy.

      Delete
  2. Heh--- Bones kills me. Gah the kitten bit. Yes. *pants* My favorite from it it Ian though. Damn that's one sexy bad boy. I really hope one day he'll get a book.

    Hope you enjoy the next ones in the series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on #5 and trying get my New Years started off right with some awesome series I have fallen behind.

      Delete
  3. OH my goodness, Bones is just good enough to eat!!! I can't wait for the final book to come out!!! This couple is so amazing together. Loved your review. Hope you had a great Christmas and New Years!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie. Was trying to go on your blog the other day and my part was acting up. Hopefully can play catch up tomorrow. They are amazing together. Can not believe it is coming to an end. But rather have what fans got all great than have tons of filler novels not so good. Had a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year. Hope you did too.

      Delete
  4. I saw "Jeaniene Frost" and I just thought "ooooh yesssss !" and I haven't read a single one yet ! But this book is slowly but surely coming up my list and it feels so gooooooood just to wait for it !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love this series. If want book one Halfway To The Grave it is on sale at Amazon and Barnes and Noble for ebooks $0.99. Limited time only.

      Delete
  5. I really love this series and this book. The first and second books are my favorite. I'll always remember this series as one of my first official UF Series. =)

    If you'd like to check out my review for this amazing book: My Review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.