Sunday, October 7, 2012

ARC Review: In Rides Trouble by Julie Ann Walker






In Rides Trouble (Black Knights Inc. #2)
by Julie Ann Walker
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
E-book 323 pages
Purchase Links: Amazon Barnes & Noble


Blurb:
Rebel with a Cause

Becky "Rebel" Reichert never actually goes looking for trouble. It just has a tendency to find her. Like the day Frank Knight showed up at her door, wanting to use her motorcycle shop as a cover for his elite special ops team. But Becky prides herself on being able to hang with the big boys-she can weld, drive, and shoot just as well as any of them.

Man with a Mission

Munitions, missiles, and mayhem are Frank's way of life. The last thing the ex-SEAL wants is for one brash blonde to come within fifty feet of anything that goes boom. Yet it's just his rotten luck when she ends up in a hostage situation at sea. Come hell or high water, he will get her back-whether she says she needs him or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review:


I really wanted to like In Rides Trouble and was hoping it was going to be better than Hell On Wheels, but it was not as good as I wanted it to be. I started off enjoying In Rides Trouble as it starts off with a bang and could not turn my e-reader fast enough, but then once the boat scene was done, Becky, Frank and Bill were home the story started dragging. It did pick back up towards the end.

Loved the prologue as it shows how the bike shop became Black Knights cover and the first time Frank and Becky meet. I love the fact that Becky is a kick butt heroine who can hold her own during a fight and loves motorcycles.

The Plot is great and loved how it is Just Frank and her brother Bill coming to Becky’s rescue and not the others. There is an edge of your seat moment during the boat scene.

I was not big on some of the characters descriptions. Franks biceps are compared to bowling bowls, his legs compared to a catchers thighs. The guy on the boat of the good guys is compared to Mr. Clean because of his bald head.

I knew the dialogue was going to be different as I read the first book in this series but at the beginning the dialogue seemed to be normal, then at some point it started reading like the first book. I was not big on reading “yepper”, “hafta“. “Cheese and Rice“ (I would of preferred just “What the heck“ or something else just not “Cheese and Rice“) and “Frickin ’Frackin’ great”. I do not mind words I do not know in a book as long as they flow with the writing. I had to look up a few words, and once I found out what they were I was just boggled at why not just write flamboyant instead of panache etc.. The words I had to look up were used by the same character(s) that are also using “yepper”, “hafta” etc.

The comparison to books, movies, actors, cartoons, objects are over used. I really felt I was going down memory lane. Feelings and actions were compared to Goonies, Johnny Depp, Oprah, Jack and the bean stalk, Dorothy, Sean Penn, Mighty Mouse and so much more. There was one comparison I had no clue what it was about.

Bill and Eve have a past together or something has happened I did not see coming. Things got pretty intense when he needed to talk to her to make sure she knows to keep quite about them rescuing them and not to blow their cover. Bills character is up in the air for me. I found him sexy in the beginning but then his over using of Pepto Bismol was what turned his sexiness off for me. He carries it around with him and it is not flattering.

I loved the bickering moments with Frank and Becky in Hell On Wheels. Was looking forward to reading their story and was disappointed. They really do not have a lot of face time together. More descriptions and inner thoughts than actual conversations. Frank does have his inner thought jealous moments and can be sweet. Loved how he would think of her by bringing her favorite must have dum-dum suckers.

I love the idea for this series with sounds like good plots and kick butt covers. But for me the dialogue does take away from the book. If some of the comparison to movies, books, actors, cartoons etc. were taken down a notch I think I would still be able to at least like it. I am still going forward with this series as I hope the next book with Jake will get my attention. I am curious enough to read his story.

ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review



 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh no...you didn't like this one either. I actually loved the first one and I loved this one more. I am sorry that you didn't like this one too. Are you going to continue with the series or are you done?? I still have to read Rev It Up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard this one is better than the first but I was not feeling it. I know I am so bummed I really wanted to like this series. I am still going to read Rev It Up. I love when the hero and heroine have a past.

      Delete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.